Scouts Canada Adult Code of Conduct
This Code of Conduct applies to all adult members of Scouts Canada over the age of 18, and all employees regardless of location and role. Parents and guardians who wish to participate in Scouting activities must also follow this Code. When accepting any role in Scouting, you agree to follow this Code when engaging with youth and adults either in-person or on-line. The purpose of this Code is to protect youth and to help adults work safely with them and with each other.
The purpose of this Code is to protect youth and to help adults work safely with them and with each other.
My behaviour reflects Scouts Canada’s values, promise and law and thus protects the safety and well-being of all Scouts Canada members. I will set an example that I would wish others to follow
THEREFORE, I WILL:
- Remember that my conduct must always be obviously safe to others and that my intention does not make a situation safe.
- Follow our youth protection policy at all times, including Scouter-to-Youth ratios, separate sleeping and washing facilities and consider these points when planning Scouting activities.
- Follow all safety requirements of Scouts Canada including risk and hazard reviews for all activities.
- Notify Scouts Canada if I am the subject of any criminal investigation or any allegation or concern related to youth safety that may impact my ability to participate in Scouting activities.
- Treat everyone with fairness, respect and dignity.
- Always ask a youth’s permission before I touch them, and ensure that any physical contact is respectful and safe.
- Encourage people to speak up about issues related to personal or Group safety that concerns them.
- Respectfully challenge behaviour or attitudes that I believe are inconsistent with Scouting values.
- Immediately report any concern for the welfare of youth or allegations of abuse to the authorities and to Scouts Canada.
- Protect the personal information of others, keeping it secure and using it for Scouting purposes only.
- Immediately report any breaches of this code and Scouts Canada policy to Scouts Canada.
- Ensure that I follow the two-Scouter rule and always have another Scouter present or copied when I am in contact with youth, whether in-person or online.
- I will use positive discipline, promoting good behavior by guiding youth towards positive solutions during disciplinary discussions rather than focusing exclusively on bad behavior.
I WILL NOT EVER:
- Use my role in Scouting to have contact with youth members outside of Scouting.
- Engage in any form of inappropriate relationship with youth or exploit them in any way.
- Ignore or trivialize abuse, harassment, bullying, hazing or bad behaviour.
- Have one to one contact with youth online or in-person or in transit
- Swear or use inappropriate language in front of youth.
- Use punishments and discipline that are demeaning, embarrassing or degrading
- Smoke in front of youth.
- Consume alcohol on Scouting activities for youth.
- Take part in Scouting if I am impaired by any substance.
- Allow any allegation or concerns of abuse to go unreported.
- Rely on just my good name to protect me.
- Engage in inappropriate conduct or behavior with youth, including suggestive remarks threats, even in fun.
I understand and agree to follow this code of conduct. I understand that my violation of any part of it may result in suspension, discipline or termination of membership or with Scouts Canada.